Saturday, August 17, 2013

Blue Microphones: the Snowball

On the off chance that any of my readers aren't aware - sarcasm - I run a Let's Play channel on YouTube. If per chance, you have viewed me in action, you'll notice that the videos aren't really of the highest quality. The biggest offender being sound.

Some of you may also know that I produce music as another hobby. What you probably don't know is that I've always been unable to record my own audio because the internal mic on my computer pics up too much interference from the computer.

These concerns are now a thing if the past. Having purchased Blue Microphones' Snowball, I'm no longer plagued by audio with the same consistency as a fart.



Originally I had intend to get the Yeti Pro. But the steep price and 4 star user ratings online led me to rethink that possibility. Having seen that the Snowball was 200 dollars cheaper, used by successful producers and also held a 5 star rating average from users, the decision to get a Snowball became obvious.

So how does the Snowball stack up to user ratings?

Well to be honest, quite good. The one complaint I have about it is that I have to be closer than I'd like to be to get the kind of recording volume I like, but that is a small problem, easily fixed by changing my computer's volume settings.

As for what I liked; the quality of the audio. The recordings are very high quality, and exactly what I was hoping for. No interference. Crisp sounding vocal audio. Nice.

I also liked that its not particularly directional. I know that directional is what a lot of people are looking for, but considering that I intend to soon do co-op and competitive Let's Plays, it's very much what I want. Also - though, I've yet to try it - that aspect should make recording sound effects easier as well.

I wouldn't give the Snowball the generous 5 star rating... But perhaps, 4.5 stars would be suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blogger widget